chosen (See choose)
1 pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives; "Take any one of these cards"; "Choose a good husband for your daughter"; "She selected a pair of shoes from among the dozen the salesgirl had shown her" [syn: take, select, pick out]
2 select as an alternative; choose instead; prefer as an alternative; "I always choose the fish over the meat courses in this restaurant"; "She opted for the job on the East coast" [syn: prefer, opt]
3 see fit or proper to act in a certain way; decide to act in a certain way; "She chose not to attend classes and now she failed the exam" [also: chosen, chose]chosen adj : preferred above all others; "the chosen few"; "her chosen abode"
1 one who is the object of choice; who is given preference; "she was Mama's chosen"
2 the name for Korea as a Japanese province (1910-1945)
3 an exclusive group of people; "one of the elect who have power inside the government" [syn: elect]
- chōz'ən, /ˈtʃəʊzən/, /"tS@Uz@n/
- Rhymes: -əʊzən
- past participle of choose
Chosen can mean:
- Chosen One, the second Hillsong Music album in the Youth Alive series by the Hillsong Church
- The Chosen (Ricardo Pinto), a fantasy novel by Ricardo Pinto
- The Chosen (Chaim Potok) is a novel by Chaim Potok, published in 1967
- Chosen Ame is an H dōjinshi series published by famed mangaka Kenichi Sonoda and his dōjinshi circle Ganso Sonoda Ya
- The Chosen (Shannara) are the Elves given the duty of looking after the Ellcrys, the magical tree that holds the Demons behind the Forbidding to keep them from escaping into the world.
- The Chosen or The Elect, a group of people who are predestined to go to Heaven, part of the theory of predestination
- The method initiated by William Douglas (DOB 1965-Springfield Ohio)of painstakingly referencing and cross-referencing every book of the bible (NIV, KJV, Interliniary, etc...)for elect passages, and the creation of the Electpedia; due out NLT 2010.
chosen in Dutch: Elect
a cut above, above, accepted, adopted, ahead, appointed, approved, ascendant, better, capping, carried, champion, choice, chosen people, cream, designated, distinguished, eclipsing, elect, elected, elected by acclamation, elite, embraced, eminent, espoused, exceeding, excellent, excelling, exclusive, fat, finer, flower, greater, handpicked, higher, in ascendancy, in the ascendant, major, marked, named, nominated, nonesuch, nonpareil, of choice, one up on, optimum, outstanding, over, paragon, passed, pick, picked, prime, prize, queen, quintessence, rare, ratified, rivaling, select, selected, super, superior, superlative, surpassing, the best, the best ever, the tops, the very best, topping, transcendent, transcendental, transcending, unanimously elected, upper